There a several options for creating records "by hand" (as opposed to having CMDI generated from a primary source by a script, repository system or other software):
- An XML editor such as oXygen or a text editor or code editor with XML support, preferably with XML Schema awareness.
- In addition to oXygen, which has a commercial licence, there are also numerous free XML editors. See for example this comparison of XML editors.
- COMEDI is an online CMDI editor developed within CLARINO that works with any profile.
- Arbil, the metadata editor developed at the Max Planck Instititue for Psycholinguistics supports any CMDI profile and provides powerful table-based editing. No longer maintained!
Dedicated editors with a limited number of supported profiles:
- CMDI Maker from the University of Cologne
- ProFormA, part of the NaLiDa project at University Tübingen. No longer available!